Overweight and Obesity - How to get rid of it through food
Jul 10, 2019
Problems we encounter are often caused by our daily habits. An example would be the poor diet that eventually leads us to overweight and obesity. This is a health problem that affects millions of people around the world, and it is one of the main concerns of health experts since it leads to a lot of different issues pertaining to a person’s wellbeing.
Facts about Overweight and Obesity
- Between the years 1975 to 2016, obesity has tripled worldwide. Studies conducted in 2016 suggest that around 13 percent of the whole global population is obese and it is possible that the percentage continues to go up today.
- You can determine overweight and obesity by simply checking a person’s BMI or Body Mass Index. A BMI of 25 or more indicates that a person is overweight and if his BMI reaches 30 or more, then he is considered to be obese.
- The very basic cause of overweight and obesity is the imbalance between calories burned and calories consumed. In other words, eating more without high regard to the quality of foods, especially on its caloric and fat content, and not burning them through physical activities lead to overweight and obesity. There are other causes that a person cannot control. Some of them include genetics, medications, and certain diseases.
- Obesity puts an individual at a greater risk to other chronic diseases. Cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, and stroke are just some of the examples that one should be concerned about.
- This is a chronic problem that not only affects adults but children as well. If a child is overweight, there is a likelihood that he maintains the same when he becomes an adult.
- Dealing with obesity is hard on the pocket.
- Obese individuals have more tendencies to miss work and perform daily tasks. They become underproductive, making them feel more down, which may lead to more complications later that hinder their goal of solving overweight and obesity.
Choose your Food Well
Since one of the fundamental causes of obesity is the eating habits of a person, it is important to become more aware of the foods that you serve on your table. Keep in mind that you do not just want to solve overweight and obesity for yourself, but also either get rid of it or prevent it from happening to your loved ones.
Here are some of the top foods to eat to fight obesity:
Whole Grains – Grains like bagels, brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat, couscous, and tortillas are loaded with fiber that can help a lot when it comes to losing weight. Fiber does not only cleanse your body of toxins. It also makes you feel full sooner, which basically prevents you from eating more. On top of that, it is not very easy to digest, making your body work more to break it down. With lesser food eaten and more work for your body, eating foods high in fiber like whole grains is one of the best ways to solve obesity.
Foods that are Protein Rich with Low Fat Content – Examples are lean meat, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, beans and peas. A high protein diet can help you achieve weight loss, especially if you are also working out. These food items high in protein are mostly loaded with omega 3 fatty acids as well, which can provide you with a lot of energy. When you become more energetic, you become more capable of performing your daily tasks as well as your daily exercises.
Fruits – Whole fruits are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. There are certain fruits that have a low glycemic index, releasing sugar into your bloodstream in a slower manner. This means that your blood sugar won't spike and you will have a constant supply of energy to burn calories. Examples of the best fruits to eat are apples, grapefruit, stone fruits, berries, kiwifruit, passion fruit, melons, bananas, avocados, and oranges. They are also loaded with moisture, which will keep you hydrated day in and day out.
Wine – Drinking wine loaded with resveratrol can help you lose weight. Resveratrol is an antioxidant that is abundant in grape skin. This antioxidant not only rids your body of free radicals but also stops it from storing more fats. It will boost your body’s ability to burn more calories in a certain period of time. This is one of the reasons why lots of people who have a shot or two of wine during lunch or dinner are usually leaner. It is important to note that moderation should be practiced in drinking wine.
Low Caloric Snacks – Eating in between meals is actually a good idea when it comes to losing weight, as long as you don’t overeat and you make sure that you are eating the right food items. Eating in moderation a few hours after a meal or before another one is good since it will make your body work constantly. To make it work, you have to choose snack items that have low caloric content. Check out the back of the packaging to see the content of your snacks. By doing this, you prevent yourself from overeating on your next meal.
Low Fat Dairy Products – You don't have to completely avoid consuming dairy products to lose weight. There are low-fat options when it comes to milk, yogurt, and cheese. You just have to do your research so that you know which products to buy at the grocery.
Make Your Diet Work
Being conscious of the food items you eat is a step towards losing weight. To ensure that it works, you have to couple it with good eating habits and exercise. Do not skip meals and make sure to eat more during breakfast than lunch and dinner. It is also important to eat slowly so as to give your brain enough time to tell your stomach that you have had enough food already, preventing you from consuming more than you need.
Lastly, to make sure that you are eating the right foods to solve overweight and obesity, limit yourself from eating in restaurants and fast foods because most of these establishments don't really care about your weight loss goals. Not all, but many of them care more about making their pockets fat than making you thin.